The purpose of the Supplier Insights Manager role is to leverage Shoprite’s rich customer and transactional retail data assets to provide strategic insights to Shoprite’s FMCG suppliers. The role drives the process of gathering insights using large and complex data sets while working through ambiguous business challenges. The role takes a tactical approach to the value and monetization of insights, translating insights into optimal strategies and effectively packaging and communicating proposed strategies to the business. The Supplier Insights Manager is a storyteller and visual communicator with demonstrated understanding of how to translate consumer, shopper and commercial insights to derive meaning and value.
- Develop actionable insights from data to support key business decisions internally and externally with suppliers with the aim of increasing revenue and driving growth.
- Own and execute end-to-end insights development including data analysis, recommendations and presenting results to suppliers and internal business stakeholders.
- Use deep-dive analytics, and category/shopper insights to develop strategies that promote category expansion and brand growth.
- Work with suppliers to fully understand their insights and needs and develop strategies for delivering on supplier objectives.
- Support suppliers to access and fully leverage the insights technology platform.
- Provide proactive inputs on sales performance, shopper behaviour and retailer trends, to influence key business decisions.
- Proactively explore insights that can be translated into initiatives.
- Translate initiatives into feasible action plans in collaboration with suppliers and business stakeholders.
- Collaborate across teams and functions to fully leverage data and shift mindsets from facts and findings to insights and evidence that drive sound business decisions.
- Use shopper behavioural and/or attitudinal data research to inform the integration of customer, consumer, and shopper understanding in order to address key business objectives.
- Conduct research to uncover key issues, benchmarks, and best practices and synthesize findings into recommendations for optimal business solutions.
- Partner with category and marketing management teams to address business opportunities and elevate insights integration for brand tactics and strategies.
- Synthesise and present insights through inspirational storytelling to influence internal/external opinions as well as decisions.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree or Diploma in Business, Marketing or a related field – (essential).
- +4 years experience in a similar capacity or role, with proven success working with FMCG brands, categories, shopper or retail insights to shape and inform business decision-making – (essential).
- Experience working with large data sets, distilling them down and shaping them in a way that delivers actionable insights and derives value – (essential).
- Well-versed in communicating business recommendations and insights into well-packaged and visually appealing presentations – (essential).
- Experience working with suppliers/category teams to scope and manage project work – (essential).
- Advanced skills in insights and data tools – (essential).
- Experience designing and delivering insights in a large retail organisation – (highly desired).
- Experience with retailer-specific data (POS, Retailer Rewards Card data etc.) – (highly desired).
Key competencies and work ethic
- Motivated self-starter with good energy and drive. Able to work and make calculated decisions independently.
- Analytical, critical thinker – Grasps and integrates multiple sources of data to identify optimal solutions. Works with complex data sets to identify insights that result in concrete business ideas and profitable growth. Able to define root cause factors from data, experience and judgment.
- Is curious and adaptable, finds agile and rapid ways of implementing solutions fast. Contributes to building Shoprite’s insights and data monetisation muscle, constantly finding ways to leverage opportunities.
- Innovative and solution-orientated keeps up to date with the latest trends and technologies. Thinks outside the box to come up with solutions while applying sound judgment to generate value.
- Able to communicate effectively, converting complex concepts that can be easily understood by a variety of stakeholders. Distils and packages data sets into creative, visually appealing and well-articulated strategies, rationales and ideas.
- Business acumen - Understands how the business operates, what the key issues and risks are that drive business success; and how they impact commercial viability and profitability.
- Results-oriented and quality-focused - Proactively executes results and sets stretch goals for self, remaining focused and working tenaciously to meet and exceed expectations within quality standards.
- Collaborative partnering - Works collaboratively with others to fully leverage insights and the possibilities of the business. Builds and sustains meaningful relationships with internal and external stakeholders and manages client expectations well.