The purpose of the Senior Digital Product Designer role is to support the delivery of ShopriteX’s digital commerce strategy and growth agenda through the creation of product designs that meets the needs of all stakeholders while driving results for the business. The role is responsible for producing UX and design work that is loved by all stakeholders while overseeing and maintaining the design system. The role further works closely with product management, agile and development teams to deliver mock-ups, prototypes, MVPs and final products. The Senior Digital Product Designer is a self-motivated and creative individual, passionate about human-centred design with a deep interest in product design trends.
- Contribute to the squad roadmap, ensuring delivery of design objectives, and building towards the design vision.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including designers, product managers, IT and technical leads to deliver end-to-end solutions and best in class user experiences.
- Execute design using participatory and iterative design techniques, including A/B testing, observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, heuristic site evaluations and competitive site analysis.
- Create storyboards, process flows and sitemaps to translate user research and design ideas.
- Develop mockups, wireframes and prototypes for different delivery platforms (website, mobile, etc.) and benchmark design work against best practices.
- Facilitate usability testing with internal and external users.
- Engage with stakeholders to ensure clarity on product or service features and user stories to support the team in better understanding solution requirements and success measures.
- Proactively identify and mitigate design issues, problems, risks or pain points.
- Provide regular status reporting (analytics, conversions and customer experience metrics etc.).
- Maintain design systems and component libraries.
- Identify opportunities for product enhancements.
- Work collaboratively as part of an agile team, ensuring holistic problem investigation and integration to design and develop the right solutions.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree or Diploma in Commerce, Marketing, Advertising, or a related field – (essential).
- +3 years experience in a similar capacity or role with demonstrable experience in the user-centred design along with proven success launching new digital product features (mobile and web) – (essential).
- Highly skilled in the visual design of digital products, including but not limited to mobile applications on Android and iOS and Responsive web; Adobe Creative Suite and Invision – (essential).
- Solid experience communicating interactions using motion design principles – (essential).
- Experience with digital customer design development (UX design, wireframing, AB Testing, customer research etc.) – (essential).
- An understanding of analytics and big data in digital product design – (desired).
- Knowledge of digital marketing and traditional media – (desired).
- Knowledge of legal compliance (POPIA, Electronic Information Act, etc.) – (desired).
Key competencies and work ethic
- A design professional with a passion for digital design solutions. Applies critical skills (user research techniques, interactive design, visual design, prototyping, service design, written content) and meta skills (analysis, ideation, theory, process) to create, design, and organise interactive elements in a meaningful way to develop high-quality user experiences that integrates user needs, technology and business objectives.
- Innovative and solution-orientated – Is curious and keeps up to date with the latest trends and technologies. Thinks outside the box to come up with creative solutions while applying sound judgment to generate long-term value.
- Analytical, critical thinker – Comfortable with complexity and ambiguity, able to adapt to different thinking environments. Uses qualitative and quantitative data to evaluate performance of designs and infer new ideas.
- Customer orientation - Passionate about the customer and making customers’ lives easier. Able to place self in the customers shoes to understand their problems and develop meaningful design solutions.
- Motivated self-starter with good energy and drive – Takes accountability for actions and mistakes.
- Results-oriented - Proactively drives results and sets stretch goals for self, remaining focused and working creatively within constraints.
- Organised and detailed – Effectively plans, coordinates and executes functions, practices and procedures to realise business unit goals and objectives.
- Business perspective – Understand business models and practices and how to optimise business efficiencies through design.
- Communication skills – Communicates well both verbally and in writing while applying effective listening skills. Able to simply technical concepts and confidently present and convey information to a variety of stakeholders.
- Team player and collaborative partner - Works effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Is collaborative and able to build sound, professional relationships with business stakeholders. Effectively manages stakeholders, leading stakeholder workshops to derive and deliver concepts and ideas.