The Product Owner s a member of the agile team, responsible for defining user stories and prioritizing the team backlog to streamline the execution of program priorities while maintaining the conceptual and technical integrity of the features or components for the team.
- Provide input into the refinement of the program backlog, ensuring the team is familiar with the features being brought into PI planning.
- Continuously refine and sequence the product backlog:
- Gather the requirements for the product and capture them in the form of a product backlog, consisting of user stories with acceptance criteria.
- Ensure all user stories are written and that each user story has acceptance criteria.
- Provide visible, transparent and clear direction, ensuring the development team is clear on priorities:
- Provide clear solution direction to the agile team.
- Apply economic decision making.
- Sequence user stories based on team PI objectives.
- Balance PI objectives with local team requirements.
- Ensure team backlog readiness for the next iteration.
- Include the team in backlog refinement.
- Participate in ART level events: ART sync, Product Owner Scrum of Scrums, Inspect and Adapt, PI Planning, daily stand-ups and system demos.
- Track progress towards the release of a product
- Ensure a consistent and delightful customer experience across all digital touchpoints of the Shoprite customer journey.
- Provide input and support into the strategic customer experience improvements that help drive customer acquisition, customer retention and conversion.
- Adhere to and improve customer service levels across businesses and services.
- Provide integrated reporting and feedback.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in Business, IT, Engineering, Marketing or a related field – (essential).
- Certified Product Owner / certified SAFe Product Owner – (desired).
- 1-5 years experience working in an agile team with exposure to launching new product features and translating business strategy and analysis into successful consumer products – (essential).
- Experience with analytics and big data – (desired).
- Commercial experience in digital-led business development environments – (desired).
- Knowledge of legal compliance (POPIA, Electronic Information Act, etc.) – (desired).
- Exposure to the African digital market and customers – (desired).
Key competencies and work ethic
- Motivated self-starter
- Strong problem-solver and analytical thinker
- Strong product focus with end-to-end product optimisation
- Collaborative partner
- Stakeholder engagement and influencing skills
- Communication skills
- Curious and adaptable